Ask a young woman what are the qualities she wants in a man and she would usually start with he should be a God fearing man. There is this belief that a God fearing man would not do things like cheating on them or beating them up.
The question is do we really know what we want, as I have realized that this man may have traits which a nominal woman may consider as annoying.
I call them perks because they are actually amazing traits, but traits in which only an equally godly woman would find attractive.
1) He would love you but he would love God more than you – This means that chances of making him do something blatantly against God’s instruction would be very slim or non existent. If he is the Holy Ghost filled type, then he may want to wait until he sees angels ascending and descending before taking a step.
No amount of batting your eyebrows, frowning or even sexy lingerie would change a godly man’s heart against the will of God. This is one of the reasons why I believe you should be with your kind, someone of kindred spirit. If all you want is a bad boy with some good traits then you probably should stay away from a truly godly man. He would annoy you.
2) Because he loves God, he would most probably love church – I recognize there are unconventional godly men who are not about church activities, but if it’s not church as we know it, then it’s ministry or home cell or a prayer group, but I assure you he would be a part of a body where he feeds on the word of God.
This means you would probably not have him Sunday mornings or Sunday evenings and if he’s really loyal, there goes your Monday and Friday evenings as well. Thread carefully if you are the type who does church only on Christmas and Easter.
While your frowning at too much activities may be understood, your wanting to take it all away would make you the enemy.
3) He would spend much time in prayer (and bible study too) This man loves you so he would spend time with you and if he’s a romantic one, trust he would spoil you silly. But a man who’s heart pants after God would definitely take out time to retreat to his secret place.
When he is burdened in his spirit he would spend more and more time in his secret place. You need to understand beforehand that his spending more time with God does not mean he hates you. It does not necessarily mean you are being neglected or being avoided, but a sincere godly man is just trying to find his footing.
Every man needs to breath once in a while whether godly or not, so give him space. You should be even glad he’s taking his breather in the presence of God.
4) He would most likely be purpose driven – Spending a lot of time with God makes a person live more for others than themselves.
In honour preferring one anotherRomans 12:10 (KJV)
This means he could be part of an NGO rendering community service, part of a unit in church or he could have his own platform where he blesses lives and gives back to society. If your godly man is into ministry – by ministry I mean pastor, worship leader or coordinator, then it’s a whole new level of selfless.
This may include spending extra time in church unlike the regular godly man. It would include spending more time in his secret place because the list of people he is praying for would have increased. As much as this is good, it could come off as overbearing.
May I also say stay far from a man who doesn’t have anything he’s pursuing. If he does not have a passion that drives him or an ambition, save yourself the heart ache.
5) He would point out when you are wrong – A godly man would lovingly point out where you have fallen short in character or areas you slip into sin.
It is so easy to think this is a direct attack and brings it on a whole new level of annoying.
Prepare your mind to receive a few corrections here and there as the best person to notice you slipping is your spouse. This is not an attack on your personality as to him he just wants to drag you to heaven.
It is his responsibility to brush up on his presentation but it’s your responsibility to swallow your pride, listen and not take his words out of context.
If he is extra humble, he will confess his own faults to you also. You should be able to be each others covering to the world but a teacher and adviser in private.
This post is just to show it takes a lot to be with a godly spouse (I should write a sequel from a woman’s perspective). Know exactly what you are praying for, so as not to reject Gods gift when it comes.
If you made it to this point, then you are the real MVP. Thank you for reading. I would love to know your thoughts, so please like, share, leave a comment below and follow for weekly updates. Remember God loves you like crazy.